Saturday, August 27, 2011

"I'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time"

Lately I have been collecting versions of all my favorite songs from throughout my life.  One of the most beautiful of these is "I'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time."  The Andrews Sisters recorded it in 1940 and it became a major hit during World War II.  Coming home from hell and marrying the lovely girl left behind, all splendid in white lace with the apple blossoms in full bloom, must have seemed a wonderful dream.  Especially when dreamed from a foxhole.

I love this song because of its sentimentality, its idealism, its romance, its old-fashioned values of lifetime commitments and marriage and the blending of two souls.  I didn't learn this song from the Andrews Sisters, I learned it from an Irish singing group called the Bachelors, who were simply incredible.  They recorded a slightly jazzy version of the song in the early 1960's -- 1964 if I remember correctly.  Their version is my all time favorite.

No comments: