Saturday, March 26, 2016

Wingnuts and Moonbats: A Concise Definition of Terms

Yesterday a Sean Hannity post on FaceBook asked if Muslims should be temporarily banned from immigrating into the United States.  I replied, no, they should be permanently banned, because Islam is violent and incompatible with western values and democracy.

This drew a reprimand from a member of my band, a liberal of course.  He said Hannity was a wingnut who is just trying to divide people.  I replied that I too am a wingnut and that I like Hannity.  Then I explained to him that Muslims are famous for mass murder.  I suppose he somehow missed the latest Muslim atrocity that happened in Brussels, Belgium this very week.

In any case, I got to thinking:  what exactly is a Wingnut?  What is its opposite, a Moonbat?  Here is the concise definition that I came up with:

Wingnuts are people who hold unpopular beliefs that are unfortunately true.

Moonbats are people who hold popular beliefs that are unfortunately not true.


No comments: